1,057,147 views 202 on YTPak
826 140

Published on 28 Nov 2012 | over 3 years ago

The California Pigeon Farm was established in 1898 by J. Y. Johnson. It was located alongside the Los Angeles River across from Elysian Park, near the intersection of West Dayton and Avenue 20, later renamed Figueroa and San Fernando Road, respectively. The farm benefited from its proximity to the railroad tracks, where the free-flying pigeons could scavenge for grain that dropped from the railroad cars. The farm's principal product was squab, but it also generated large quantities of fertilizer, which it sold to local orchards and farms. In February 1914, heavy rains caused the Los Angeles river to flood, and much of the farm was washed away. The Los Angeles Times reported that the loss was valued at $50,000. Enjoy the video and thanks for watching. WWW.PigeonBreed.Com

Loading related videos...