Published on 15 Jul 2013 | over 5 years ago
Master Chef Tarla Dalal Explains How to cook Khandvi (Gujarati Recipe) in an extremely easy way.
1 cup besan (bengal gram flour)
1 cup fresh curds (dahi) mixed with 1 1/2 cups of
2 to 3 drops of lemon juice
2 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
salt to taste
3 1/4 tsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
5 to 6 curry leaves (kadi patta)
1/2 tsp finely chopped green chillies (optional)
For The Garnish:
2 tbsp freshly grated coconut
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
• Combine the besan, curds-water mixture, lemon juice, ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt in a deep non-stick pan and mix well to make a smooth batter (taking care that no lump remains).
• Cook on a slow flame, while stirring continuously till it becomes thick (approx. 8 to 10 minutes).
• Grease a thali (approx. 10") on the reverse side using ¼ tsp of oil and spread a spoonful of the batter on a greased thali and wait for a few seconds and try to roll up. If it doesn't, then cook for a few more minutes, and check once more till done.
• Divide the batter into two equal portions. While the batter is still hot, spread each portion evenly using a spatula, on the reverse greased side of 2 thalis evenly to make a thin uniform layer using a spatula (refer step 1).
• When cool, cut the khandvi on each thali lengthwise (approx. 1½" in width) into equal portions (as shown in the image) and roll up each gently (refer to step 2 and 3).
• For the tempering, just before serving heat the remaining 3 tsp oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
• When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
• Pour the tempering over the khandvis.
• Serve immediately garnished with coconut and coriander.
Report video function is under development.