Learn how to create great looking gun muzzle flash visual effects for your videos and short films in the latest SurfacedStudio tutorial!
I see so many badly done muzzle flash effects on YouTube, I could not resist covering the effect in my Visual Effects 101 series :)
It is actually very simple to create a very convincing muzzle flashes in just a few minutes using your favourite post production software.
You can find a detailed written version of this tutorial on my website:
1. Place the muzzle flash on top of your base footage
2. Create a lighting layer
3. Mask out the areas of your lighting layer that should receive light from the flash
4. Create a lighting matte and place it on top of the lighting layer
5. Enable 'Luma' track matte on the lighting layer to blend it naturally into the scene
6. Animate the opacity of the lighting layer
For action stock footage, I can highly recommend Video Copilot's Action Essentials 2 package. I got the 720p version for $99
FREE STOCK FOOTAGE:
- Click on the big 'Detonation Films' icon at the bottom of the page
- Click the 'I want this!' link
- Enter your email address and $0 for the price, the click on 'Get'
- Click the 'download' button to start download
There is a second page of free elements here:
- Do exactly the same as for page 1
- Click on 'Royalty Free Video VFX'
or if you Google for 'free action stock footage' :)
All sound effects come from
Make sure you get 'Creative Commons 0' licensed files so you're allowed to use them in your own projects!
You can follow me here:
Video and Music - Copyright © 2012 SurfacedStudio