Today we are learning how to dribble like Messi.
Subscribe - bit.ly/Yl0Ful
------------ Click "Show More" for Key Points and More Info ------------
We help players improve
Our mission is to inspire players that if you Believe in it®
and back that up with hard work anything in life is possible!
200+ Free OSA Soccer Training Videos & Free Weekly OSA eNewsletter
Are you a Coach? Would you like to host an OSA Soccer Camp?
We do camps anywhere in the United States for teams and clubs, of all levels, that love OSA videos. 30 players is all it takes to make a camp happen.
More info at www.OnlineSoccerAcademy.com/soccer-camps
statUP is a skill tracking app!
Sign up at statUP.com/osa/
or download the app on iOS and Android.
Full disclosure Jared Montz is a co founder in statUP. statUP is a talented team of developers, business leaders and coaches that share a mission of helping athletes reach their dreams. That’s why Jared got involved, to help you!
statUP is free for athletes and parents.
statUP has lite and paid plans for coaches.
If you have any questions using statUP please contact their friendly customer service at Help@statUP.com
. Or visit www.statUP.com/help
. They are happy to help!
Does Messi do lots of fancy tricks? No!
What makes Messi so special with his dribbling? In my opinion it's because he can change pace so well. He's also really smart, but his change of pace is something special.
He slows the game down, gets defenders to relax a second, then takes off!
1. Change pace! The most important thing to do after any attacking move is to change pace! Go from slow to fast! If I drive 100 miles per hour and you drive 100 miles per hour can you keep up with me? Yes, you can. If I drive 50 miles per hour and you drive 50 and then I speed up to 100 can you catch me? Yes, eventually maybe but for a few seconds I will be ahead of you. In that few seconds of you changing pace, that is when the magic happens!
2. Slow the game down! Don't dribble crazy fast all the time. Dribble at a defender slower, then accelerate past them when it's time to make your move.
3. Take a defender left, then go right. Sounds easy but it's not easy to make it look easy.
4. Take a bigger touch past a defender's reach. When you take that touch to explode past the defender make sure the ball is far enough past the defender's reach. This does two things. One it allows you to accelerate faster because you can run faster without the ball then with it. Second if the defender reacts and sticks their leg out they won't get lucky and win the ball, rather they will foul you if they hit you.
5. Wait for the defender to try and win it! This is more advanced but study that defender. As soon as they step into win it is when you take your touch past them. You have to think really quickly in order to pull this off.
Equipment Needed: Ball and a three cones.
Exercise Player Can Do:
Set up your cones in different scenarios. Dribble at the defender cone, then accelerate past the cone and finish at end cone 10 yards away. Work on going from slow to fast, from right to left and left to right.
What Player Could Be Doing Wrong:
If you are getting the ball stolen from you a lot then you are taking to small of a touch past the defender. Take a bigger touch so you can run faster and blow past that defender.
Do the move earlier too, don't wait until you are right on top of the defender.
For tips on proper dribbling technique watch my Online Soccer Academy video tilted "How to Dribble a Soccer Ball".
Have fun dribbling like Messi and be confident out there!
We make better soccer players through free online soccer training videos.
Remember if you Believe in it® and back that up with hard work, anything in life is possible!
Free Royalty Free Music from www.DanoSongs.com