Final update (July 20):
Yesterday afternoon I wrote an email to the Office of the President of Holland America to explain my perspective on this. I figured this thing blowing up as much as it did got the upper management’s attention, so I explained how I felt the public’s reaction to this was justified. This morning, we had a face-to-face with the the Hotel Director and Guest Relations manager. They empathized with our situation, apologized to us, said (to paraphrase) that we were totally fair in our calling them out. Evidently someone onboard didn’t make it back to the ship in Norway, so they moved us to their room. It’s got a balcony, and is on the other end of the ship. We’re grateful to that, since we were uncomfortable back in our old room. We didn’t ask for a refund at any point here, but as I said earlier they refunded our upgrade fee anyway. They also provided us both with free drink vouchers, which we’ll definitely need after all this.
Obviously I didn’t anticipate this thing going viral in the middle of our trip, but you never know with Reddit. It’s sad it takes a viral video to get companies’ attention sometimes. Thanks to everyone who tweeted and messaged them. I saw lots of others saying they got the same poor response that we initially did from HAL. Hopefully they’ll improve. All I can say is that we’re good now, and we’re gonna go enjoy our trip.
Edit 2 (July 19): We just got back to our room. There's a towel swan display and some rose petals on the bed, along with a bottle of champagne. Lots of photos from the fjords to sort through. What an astounding country this is.
Okay we are up. I'm just going to list a few facts for you all:
1. Around 9:30
last night, our room phone rang and it was the head of guest services. It was a very quick call but long story short, he said they were aware of the video and were engaged with discussions internally regarding how to handle it. I know very little else about their reaction to this.
2. They are refunding our $600 upgrade and comping us a nice dinner on the ship. They said they have something else in mind but are still discussing. I do not know what that means.
3. They can't for sure say whether or not the maintenance outside our window will continue, although it appears that there is still plenty of work to do as far as I can tell, although that's just my opinion.
4. They can't move us because the ship is full, which I understand.
5. We have a plan to go do a long tour of Norway today so we'll be off the ship for the night, returning tomorrow.
6. This has not ruined our trip. We intend to have a blast and have another 2 weeks to do so.
This is our view for our wonderful European cruise. The crew said they will be working during the day the entire time. Thanks for telling us when you up charged us $600 extra for the window guys.