For more information about Professor Shankar's book based on the lectures from this course, Fundamentals of Physics: Mechanics, Relativity, and Thermodynamics, visit bit.ly/1jFIqNu
Fundamentals of Physics (PHYS 200)
This is the first of a series of lectures on relativity. The lecture begins with a historical overview and goes into problems that aim to describe a single event as seen by two independent observers. Maxwell's theory, as well as the Galilean and Lorentz transformations are also discussed.
- Chapter 1. The Meaning of Relativity
- Chapter 2. The Galilean Transformation and its Consequences
- Chapter 3. The Medium of Light
- Chapter 4. The Two Postulates of Relativity
- Chapter 5. Length Contraction and Time Dilation
- Chapter 6. Deriving the Lorentz Transformation
Complete course materials are available at the Yale Online website: online.yale.edu
This course was recorded in Fall 2006.