Published on 01 Mar 2015 | over 2 years ago
Recipe: Chole Masala
Prepration Time:12 hours (Included Soaking time)
Cooking Time:20 mins
1) 1 Cup White Chick peas/Kabuli Chana soaked overnight or minimum for 5-6 hours
2) 1 large sized Onion finely cut
3) 2 large sized tomatoes grinded into puree
4) 1 Green chilly cut lengthwise
5) 2 tbspoon ginger-garlic paste
6) 1 tspoon cumin seeds
7) 2 tspoon whole coriander seeds
8) 8-10 black pepper
9) 1-1.5 inch cinnamon stick
10) 1 black cardamom
11) 4-5 cloves
12) 6-7 dried red chillies(medium spicy)
13) 1 bay leaf
14) 1 tspoon Kashmiri Chilly Powder
15) 1/2 tspoon Turmeric Powder
16) 1 tspoon Tea leaf
17) 1 tspoon sugar
18) Cooking Oil and Salt
19) Fresh Coriander leaves for garnishing
Here We go:
1) We must Pressure cook white chick peas in a pressure cooker. We will use 2 1/2 cup of water for 1 cup of White chick peas. Add 1 tspoon salt.
2) Make a small Tea bag using 1 tspoon of tea-leaf. Add this tea-bag to the chick peas. Tea-leaves are used to enhance the color and flavor of chick peas.
3) Pressure cook the chick peas on medium flame for 5 whistles.
4) When pressure releases completely, open the lid. Remove the tea bag and discard it. Remove the chick peas in a bowl and reserve the excess water.
5) Dry Roast all the ingredients mentioned under "Dry Spices" in the Ingredient list for atleast 1-2 mins.
6) After 2 mins when you start getting nutty aroma from the spices, turn off the flame and let them cool down. Grind these spices into a fine powder.
7) Take 2 tbspoon cooked chick peas and grind it into a coarse paste. This paste will be used to thicken the gravy
8) Heat 3 tbspoon oil in a pan. Add Onion and roast it until it becomes tender.
9) When Onions become slightly tender, add green chilly and ginger-garlic paste. Roast it for 2-3 mins to get rid of the raw smell.
10) Now add tomato puree and salt as per taste and roast for 2 minutes.
Note: We already added some salt when we pressure cooked chick peas.
11) When Tomato puree is cooked, add turmeric powder, Kashmiri chilly powder, sugar and finely grounded dry spices powder. Roast this mixture for couple of minutes
12) When Masala get nicely roasted, add cooked chick peas, coarse paste of chick peas and the excess water.
13) Cook the gravy for 4-5 mins on medium flame, thereafter turn off the flame.
14) Treat yourself with this delicious Chole Masala.You can Enjoy this with Roti, Naan, steamed rice or Bhatura.
Report video function is under development.