Published on 13 Nov 2015 | over 2 years ago
deewani mastani-Part-1-(Bajirao Mastani) -on keyboard
*Here are 10 interesting facts you must know about "Deewani Mastani"*
1) Director Sanjay Leela Bhansali has taken inspiration from K. Asif's Mughal-e-Azam for this song in trying to create the Aaina Mahal (palace of mirrors). It is his contemporary version of the classic song "Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya." The premise between the two songs is also similar. While in that song courtesan Anarkali dances for Prince Salim, in this one Persian princess Mastani dances and declares her love for Bajirao.
2) The Aaina Mahal was recreated in Film city, Mumbai. Over 20,000 intricately designed mirrors have been used to put the set together. Special craftsmen from Jaipur worked on embedding of the mirrors to maintain authenticity. The massive set measures 12,500 sq feet. The most amazing thing about the set is that one angle of the frame reflects in 20,000 mirrors. A part of this can be seen in a shot in the video where Priyanka looks up at the reflection of Deepika on the ceiling.
3) In a time where there is heavy reliance on VFX, Bhansali wanted his sets to be as authentic as they can be. The 'Aaina Mahal' also had 13 chandeliers which had to be lit up every few hours with candles, instead of traditional electric lighting.
4) Director Bhansali, who has composed the music for "Bajirao Mastani," had the tune of "Deewani Mastani" in his head for 12 years. "It has been playing over and over again in my mind. And now to finally see it come to life on screen is a moment of great satisfaction for me," said Bhansali.
5) The song is sung by Shreya Ghoshal, who had made her playback singing debut 13 years ago with Bhansali's "Devdas," with the memorable song "Bairi Piya," featuring Aishwarya Rai Bachchan.
6) Bhansali is very detail-oriented and he wanted all aspects of the song - the outfits, sets, background dancers, music and dance movements to blend perfectly. So Deepika is wearing a 'dhani' (soft green) colored embroidered Anarkali-style outfit. It is a layered lehenga with gota work, which flows perfectly with tune, lyrics and dance movements in the song. She is also wearing a Muslim izhaar pyjama.
7) Costume designer Anju Modi had access to only one picture of Mastani and that is the look that she has used for Deepika in this song. The turban was taken straight from that picture, though the actress won't be seen wearing it through out the film.
8) The song, choreographed by Remo D'Souza, took 10 days to shoot. Remo made sure that the dance steps were a mix of classic and contemporary as he and Bhansali didn't want the song to look dated.
9) At one point Bhansali considered converting the set of "Deewani Mastani" into a museum as he and the team of the film did not have the heart to bring down the massive and magnificent set, which had taken over 40 days to construct.
10) The song opens with Marathi lyrics "Nabha toon ali apsara, ashi sundara, saaz sazvuna" which means "a fairy has stepped down from the skies, so beautiful and all dressed up."
Report video function is under development.